Monday, October 13, 2014

Klout Analysis on 5,000 IT Professionals

A while back I wrote a post focusing some analysis of my 4,000 Twitter followers:
http://painpoints.blogspot.com/2011/09/klout-analysis-of-painpoints-4000.html

This time I produced similar results below using another free online tool called "Many Eyes" by IBM.  The first graphic below shows all my followers on the X-axis with their Klout scores on the Y-axis.



Dissecting the first dark green 15% column, we can further examine the distribution of follower counts for this set of users.  The chart below is thus a breakdown of # of followers with a Klout score greater than 52.


Now dissecting the second light green 27% column, we can see below how the chart changes for Klout scores between 40-52.  The 100k followers drops to a handful of people, while both the 10k-100k and 5k-10k groups drops significantly.  77% of of this group now has less than 5,000 followers.  

Finally dissecting the last column for my followers with Klout scores less than 40. First the chart for scores between 30-40. 85% of this group has less than 5,000 followers.
and last the chart for those under a Klout score of 30, where now 85% of this group has less than 1,000 followers. 

Wow, great pretty charts!  I guess I like to see how I my voice and audience compares among fellow peers and possible customers. But, what does all this mean? I really don't know yet, but this exercise has brought me a few new questions at least.

1)  Who are these 8% of my followers that have 100,000+ followers themselves? Perhaps these are the people and companies that should be initial targets for partnership pitches. They already have a large audience and they follow me?!  I am humbled.

2) Who are these folks who have relatively high Klout scores, but currently sit on the low end of the follower distribution? Perhaps this is a special group for a targeted campaign as one could argue that this group has a high social following upside. In other words to achieve a high Klout score, this group may already be offering quality content and good "signal to noise" in their tweets, but perhaps not many people have had the opportunity to come across their accounts.

Also, if you like these visualizations, here's a separate post that may interest you: I used Many Eyes to analyze my Twitter and Linked-In networks.

Enjoy!
-Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment